Sunday, February 3, 2008

Calico Skies

I told you guys about watching Paul McCartney Live in Red Square with Seven. This child is obsessed with The Beatles. Last night he and his daddy were playing music and I was listening from the bedroom when I heard this conversation:

Seven: Daddy, did your sister teach you about the Beatles?

Dan: Yep, Aunt Cathy taught me all about them.

Seven: And now you're teaching me all about them. It's like we all keep passing it down or something.

Dan: That's right, we do.

Seven: Someday I'll teach my children about the Beatles. If they're not too hyper.

That's a direct reference to his brother, who can't sit still long enough to sing along with us. He was in the playroom pretending to blow things up and making explosion noises with his mouth.

The song they were singing is one I'd never heard before until we watched the Red Square DVD. It's one of the most beautiful love songs ever, and it's even sweeter to hear it sung by a seven-year-old with his daddy playing guitar. It's called Calico Skies and it was on McCartney's Flaming Pie CD in 1997. Feel free to make clicky here if you want to hear it and see some great pictures of Paul and Linda (who he wrote the song for--before he married that psycho Heather Mills). Or just read the lyrics:

It was written that I would love you
From the moment I opened my eyes
And the morning when I first saw you
Gave me life under calico skies.

I will hold you for as long as you like
I'll love you for the rest of my life

Always looking for ways to love you
Never failing to fight at your side
While the angels of love protect us
From the innermost secrets we hide

I'll hold you for as long as you like
I'll love you for the rest of my life

Long live all of us crazy soldiers who
Were born under calico skies
May we never be called to handle
All the weapons of war we despise

I'll hold you for as long as you like
I'll love you for the rest of my life
I'll hold you for as long as you like
I'll love you for the rest of my...
For the rest of my life



Dan says it felt like a gift--discovering a McCartney song that he'd never heard before. Cool! He gets a gift and I didn't have to go shopping. Sweet!

No comments: