Sunday, June 1, 2008

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

You're humming that Monty Python song now, aren't you? Me too.

We haven't had any calls to show this house yet. So much for my dream of selling in a week and not letting the door hit us in the butt on the way out of town. I know, I know, it's a crappy market and the house has only been officially listed for four days, blah, blah, blah, but I hate this waiting around mode.

Every time I turn around I'm picking something off the floor, dusting, sweeping, mopping, just in case someone calls and wants to show it in fifteen minutes. Every night before we go to bed we're all straightening up and putting things away. I've been caught up on the laundry for a week. And you know what?

I secretly love it! This is the cleanest my house has been since we moved in! This is the lifestyle I've dreamed of for the last seventeen years. Dan and the boys are cleaning up after themselves for the first time ever. Mostly. With reminders. The kids make their bed every morning. Dan puts his stuff away in the bathroom and kitchen every morning. Before, when I came downstairs after he'd left for work early in the morning I would play "forensic homemaking," guessing what he had for breakfast based on the evidence left on the counter:

Hmm, from the tea bag wrapper and sugar granules I know he had a cup of sweet, hot tea. Yep, here's the mug and spoon on the counter--which is still sticky from all the sugar. Oh, and he must've had toast because here's the dirty butter knife in the sink. Nope, it must've been cornbread, because he left the empty, crumb-filled tin by the stove and crumbs all over the counter.


This week? The dishes are in the dishwasher as they should be. The cornbread is returned to the pantry after he cuts his piece. Crumbs? Not on the counter, that's for sure. Dan has even been heard correcting the children and reminding them to put things away. Quite frankly, it's been a little slice of heaven in Casa de Princess this week.

So maybe if the house takes a little bit longer than a week to sell that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's that silver lining I'm always looking for.

Just call me Pollyanna.

Even so, I want this thing sold and I mean NOW!

1 comment:

Shelly Conn said...

I bet it will sell very soon. Just give it a little time. :)