Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ninja Rock Star

My Seven Year Old is sitting on the floor playing Kelly Clarkson's "Walk Away" on the guitar--well, the bass line, anyway, not the melody. He's not quite a rock star yet, but he's getting there. Like the boy needed another skill to make the girls crazy about him. Last year his kindergarten teacher had to ban two little girls from playing with him at recess because they wouldn't stop fighting over him. Sigh. I'm terrified of his teenage years.

Speaking of "skills," since I only started blogging in November most of you haven't heard this story. Back when he was still called Six, we were driving home from school when he made the following announcement: "I think Ariel is in love with me and wants to marry me and I don't want to hurt her feelings but I can't marry her because I'm going to marry Rachel."

He and Rachel have been betrothed since they met in preschool when they were two years old. Rachel told her mother, "Mama, I saw him across the playground and I just couldn't take my eyes off him." Sherry, his future mother in law, and I are already choosing their china patterns. But I digress...

Ten (who was only Nine then) caught my eye in the rear view mirror, gave me a knowing wink, and smiled as if to say, "These little kids, they are just so darlingly provincial." What he really said was, "Why do you think she wants to marry you?"

And Six said, "Well you know. Because of my personality, my intelligen-cy, and my skills." (Pronounced skeels, 'cause he got street cred.)

Nine: "What skills are those?"

Six: "My Ninja skills. You know, I've been training as a Ninja so I can protect Rachel someday when we're married."

A rock star with ninja skeels. Rachel is gonna have some competition. Lord help me.

No comments: