Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back to School Blues

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not ready for my kids to go back to school. Really.

Sure, there are a few things I'll enjoy during the two days that the kids go back to school before I have to report back to my own school. Like getting my haircut without dragging the little darlings along. Cruising the aisles at Publix without fruit snack boxes launching themselves through the air to land, mysteriously, in my cart. Cleaning a room and returning in five minutes to find it, amazingly, still clean. If I, you know, actually cleaned.

But the bottom line is, I'm not ready to start waking up at OMG-o'clock yet. I don't want to deal with the hassle of homework, packing lunches, remembering schedules, other kids' cooties, pants that are inexplicably two inches too short when they fit the child TWO WEEKS AGO, and all the joy that comes with kids in school.

And besides all that, when they go back I will miss out on conversations like this one:

Ten: What do you want to do?
Seven: I don't know. What do you want to do?
Ten: Wanna build a Lego ship?
Seven: No
Ten: Wanna watch a movie?
Seven: No.
I know! Let's ram into each other until we fall down.
Ten: Okay, let's do it.

On second thought....

No comments: