Monday, January 28, 2008

Internet Insomnia

Why am I still awake and blogging at this time of the night? I mean morning? Well, there are quite a few reasons, actually:

1) The class I finally signed up for is supposed to start tomorrow. Well, today now. I went to check the announcements tonight, just to keep on top of things and make sure I'm ready for tomorrow, being the little over-achiever that am I, right? Well! Turns out I'm not the only one who took a beating with the OCD stick. There are people who have already been chatting about the class on the discussions board. One woman has already TURNED IN A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT! GAH! Don't these people realize that I'm used to being the teacher's pet? They're taking butt-kissing to a whole new level. Great! Now I'm already falling behind in class on the very first day. And this is an online class. It's not as if I can bring chocolates to suck up or flirt with the teacher for a better grade. Not that I've ever done that or anything.

2) Dan stopped at Wendy's on the way home to bring dinner for everyone because I was helping Ten finish a project that had to be done tonight even though it's not due until Thursday because for the rest of the week I knew I'd be too busy with my own homework to help him with his. (Deep breaths, deep breaths.) So, unlike his mother, HIS work will be turned in early. Grrr. Anyway, Dan brought me a ginormous diet Coke, which I drank after six in the evening so I might as well have just smoked some crack with a speed chaser.

3) I paid the bills and balanced the checkbook tonight, which is insomnia-inducing on any night. But on this all-important night before I return to student life, when all things are supposed to be organized and settled and calm, I got the utility bill from hell. Dan says I have a tendency to, shall we say, embellish when I retell a story. But, oh interpeeps, this is, sadly, not an exaggeration in any way. This is the actual real live amount of our utility bill this month.

Are you ready?

$5,386.89

(Give or take a few cents because I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the bill.
Plus, if I see the amount in black and white the shakes will start again.)

We went from using 6700 pounds last year to 8400 pounds last month to OVER ONE MILLION pounds this month. Yeah, right. Must've been all those pool parties, charity car washes, and lawn watering services I was offering. You know, when it was below freezing outside! I know that Dan will straighten this out tomorrow. I know he will. Because I am not equipped to handle ONE MORE THING right now.

Okay, deep breaths. D-E-E-P breaths.

Yeah, that's not working for me either.


1 comment:

princessapr said...

If you want a funny story about school...

Ok, I was never an over-achiever. I was barely an achiever. During grad school, I wrote down the first day of school incorrectly. So, I missed the first class. It doesn't sound like a big deal. I had 2 additional papers to write for the second class and a bit of reading, but it was a fun class so the extra papers and reading really was no big deal. I was more humiliated by the fact that I missed the first day of class and the teacher called me out on it. So, I had to laugh it off in front of everyone. It's a good thing I'm used to looking like an idiot in front of a crowd. I got an A in the class, too. I loved those touchy feely management courses. :)