Thursday, December 20, 2007

Wet Hair, Dry Book

Today I realized what a complete book lover I really am. Not that anyone around me is surprised by this.

I went downtown for my annual well woman exam. Again. Ahem. It was pouring down rain so I was doing the mad dash from the parking garage across the street to the hospital entrance.

side bar: Why do we do this? Are we somehow less wet because we moved faster through the drops of rain?

Anyway, I had a hardcover book from the library with me and I didn't want it to get wet so I tucked it under my sweater as I ran. One of the valet parking guys (the same ones from yesterday who were no more helpful today) said, "You know, most women would hold the book over their head to keep their hair dry."

I think I gasped. I scowled at him and kept walking, too outraged by his blasphemous statement to respond. Get a hardcover book--one that's not even mine, by the way--WET? What was he smoking? My hair will eventually dry, but the book could've been ruined. My hairstyle was beyond repair, but my precious book remained relatively unscathed.

For those of you keeping score at home, it was another Lisa Scottoline book, THE VENDETTA DEFENSE. I love her characters.

No comments: