Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wishin' and a-Hopin'

I was up all night singing that old Dusty Springfield song "Wishin' and Hopin'" in my head. For those of you who are too young to know Dusty, it was also featured at the beginning of My Best Friend's Wedding. Only I've changed the lyrics a bit. Here's how it goes when I sing it:

Stressin' and frettin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and schemin' each night in my bed
That I won't end up dead.

So if you're lookin' to find a house you can buy
All you gotta do is
Call me and come on and see it
And make me an offer.

I'm thinking about the house
I want to buy
Pray it won't sell
Before mine
Stressin' and a-frettin'
Wishin' and a-hopin'

'Cause wishin' and hopin' and stressin' and frettin'
Plannin' and schemin' that my house will sell
Before the one I want sells

So if you're thinkin' how great
My house is
All you gotta do is
Call me and see it and make me an offer
Yeah, just do it and after you do, I'll move away

(You gotta)
Come see my house
Intending to buy
Send your friends with their checkbooks, 'cause
I won't sell it
stresin' and a-frettin'
Wishin' and a-hopin'

Just wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and schemin' that my house will sell
And I won't be in mortgage hell

So if you're thinkin' how great
My house is
All you gotta do is
Call me and see it and make me an offer
Yeah, just do it and after you do, I'll move away


Okay, so my husband is the song writer in the family. But this song is playing on my never-ending internal MUSAK and I'm losing my mind. I really want to get this house sold and move into a new one before school starts in ONE MONTH, but I know that's not going to happen. I'm dreading commuting an hour each way every day with my kids. Mom offered to let us live with her during the week and come back here on the weekends, but I just don't see how that will work out.

I love my mom, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to live with her. If it were just Mom and me, fine. But not with my dad, my husband, my two kids, my cat, my 80 pound dog and her ten pound dog. Nope. It's not just having a place to sleep, it's the daily routines: homework, baths and showers, grading papers, fixing dinners, breakfast time, packing lunches, sharing the TV, finding "quiet time" with Dan (yes, that is a euphemism--read into it what you will), and adapting to not only a new school but having Mommy go back to work full time. I need the stability of my own house for that transition.

And it's not just the house I'm fretting about. My license is STILL not renewed even though they received my renewal application in MARCH! I called the state licensing office today, even though the website hasn't been updated, but the lady said they're working on March and just to be patient.
Hello? Be patient? School starts in ONE MONTH and I'm about to uproot my kids from the only school they've ever known to bring them with me. It would be nice to know that I'm going to be able to teach when the school year starts.

Speaking of teaching, I just printed off the state standards for fourth grade. Holy cow. There are twenty pages of skills that my students will have to master. Twenty pages (in a tiny little font) of things I have to teach them. Frickety frick frick frick, what have I gotten myself into?

Don't even get me started about packing, finding new doctors, my worries about my kids adjusting to their new school, Ten needing to learn cursive really
quick-like, choosing which medical insurance package we want, scheduling dentist appointments, the issues I'm having with the stupid bank I'm trying to switch my account to, the $100 I spent on my dog yesterday because she's scratching herself raw due to allergies (can just ONE member of my family NOT have allergies? Apparently not.), setting up my new class and meeting my new co-workers, and... well, the list is as long as my kids' ability to argue with one another. Which, may I saw, is quite lengthy.

So, all that to say, I'm a big bundle of stressed-out, frettin', nervy crazy girl right now. Pray for me.

More importantly, pray for Dan.

2 comments:

Shelly Conn said...

Teble, I think you need a drink. Maybe a strong one. You do have a LOT on your plate right now and I would be stressed out too.
It's going to be ok though! :)
Eventually all of this will be straightened out and you house IS going to sell.

Pat Collier said...

I think staying with us Monday thru Friday will be easier than getting up early and fighting traffic. At least you won't have to cook and clean. What would happen if a school near you offers you a job? Is there a way out of your contract here? Man you are stressing me out now and all I was worried about was boxing up some of my clothes to make ya'll some closet room. Of course you and Dan could go home on Wed. nights to "check on things". It will work out some how.