Tuesday, July 1, 2008

At the Zoo

Yesterday Mom and I met at the zoo, dragging seven kids and several coolers along with us. We walked all over the place and had a nice picnic lunch. The weather was perfect--sunny, not too hot, not too cold, but just right. It was a blast watching the animals with teenagers because everything was funny to them. Especially the Schmidt's Guenon. There was a trio of monkeys grooming each other and eating fleas right off the other ones' backs. We cracked up when they were picking at each other in the hind end region. I kept expecting one of them to say, "Of course we're going to throw poo at them."

I got a sad glimpse into Ten's dating future. Here he was with two teenage hotties and all he could do was correct their false knowledge about reptiles. Conversation overheard in the "Unseen World" exhibit...

Hot Teen Girl #1: Wow, look at that turtle! It's huge!

HTG#2: OMG. That's the biggest turtle I've ever seen!

Ten: (completely oblivious to their hotness) Well, actually, that's a tortoise.

HTG #1 and #2 (rolling eyes) Same difference.

Ten: Actually, they're very different. Turtles live in wet climates. Tortoises live in dry climates. Since this is clearly a desert biome, that's obviously a tortoise.

HTG #1 and #2 (giggling and rolling
eyes again) Whatever!

Ten: They're totally different animals but, yeah, whatever.
(eye roll of his own)

Then he looked to me as if to say, Geez, these girls are such airheads.
I might as well stock up on pocket protectors for the poor kid right now.

Enjoy this slide show of pictures from the zoo. I took about a zillion more pictures because Ten wanted at least one picture of every single animal, but I won't bore you with all of them.




1 comment:

Shelly Conn said...

I am surprised we didn't run into you all either! We were there from 9:00 to 11:00. It was SO beautiful yesterday! I know you all had a great time. ;)