Sunday, May 30, 2010

Showtunes and Such

In the car on the way to church today Dan and I broke out into show tunes, as we have a tendency to do. See we were talking about getting Twelve to talk to a cute girl in his Sunday school class, and Twelve told me to stop trying to be a matchmaker. Naturally, Dan and I looked at each other and started singing "Matchmaker," which launched into "If I Were a Rich Man." Twelve covered his ears and screamed at us to stop, as he usually does. We stopped just short of "Sunrise, Sunset," but only because we were tired of his complaining.

I told the boys that we were going to have a Brewer Family Musical Marathon this summer. We listed all the musicals we wanted them to watch: Fiddler on the Roof, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, West Side Story...

Then Twelve jumped in and said, "Oh yeah, West Side Story. It has gang violence. We'll totally watch that one."

Where did we go wrong?

Then, on the way home from church, we were talking about their friends and their friends' parents. Twelve was talking about how one boy's dad seemed older than the other boy's dad. I said, "Well, people probably think that your parents are old too, honey." Twelve said, "Well, Mom's not old."

Maybe we didn't go so wrong after all.

No comments: