Sunday, June 6, 2010

Feminine Wants?

On the way to Wal-Mart this afternoon, Twelve said that he "needed" some certain new toy. This, of course, prompted a discussion about the differences between "wants" and "needs." Toys are not needs; they are wants.

When we entered the store, the boys were grumbling because I made them trail along behind me to the "Health and Beauty Aids" section to get some moisturizer when they wanted to go on ahead to the toy section without me. Twelve was reading the signs aloud as we passed. Then he said, "Feminine Needs." I immediately tried to hush him, but he continued. "What the heck are Feminine Needs? Yeah, like women really NEED things like makeup and girly lotions. I'm pretty sure those are wants. "

As the old lady behind us starting choking while trying to cover her laugh, I granted them permission to go to the toy department. Unfortunately it was a little too late to avoid complete maternal mortification.

In a few years when he understands what "Feminine Needs" really are, I can't wait to replay this conversation for him. And that is a need.

No comments: