Wednesday, June 10, 2009

D.C. Day Three

Still in D.C. Very tired. Feet hurt.

We started the day at Ford's Theatre, where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. The National Park Service Ranger who told us the story of John Wilkes Booth's plan was so good. He had me on the edge of my seat (which, by the way, was right across from the box where Lincoln sat, so I could picture everything as he was saying it) even though I knew the story already.

Yesterday we spent most of the day at the National Archives. It was so cool putting on the little white gloves and learning how to handle rare, old documents. We did a lot of research and found documents that show examples of the Constitution in action. Very cool. We got to see the original copies of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Magna Carta, and a bunch more. I don't have time to do it justice before we have to leave this morning.

Then we went to the Museum of Natural History--the one where Night at the Museum takes place. Wow. It was so cool. I wandered around until my feet ached. Again. Saw the Hope diamond and tried not to smack a teenager who asked, completely seriously, if that was the necklace that was in Titanic.

Last night we went to the Corner Bar on the corner of 15th and G, where I had the best trout and the best crab cakes I've ever eaten. I may have to go back tomorrow night to make sure it was as good as I think it was.

I a few minutes, we're leaving for the White House. (It's two blocks from my hotel.) We don't get to do the tour, but we can see the grounds and take pictures and stuff. Then we'll have meetings with Bart Gordon and Lamar Alexander. Then we'll have some free time to do what we want. I'm trying not to waste any time sleeping, because I can sleep at home.

More tomorrow...

No comments: