Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow Days = Sinking into the Abyss

How is it possible that I've had very nearly a MONTH off from work and I'm still completely unprepared to go back to work tomorrow? Thanks to the Great Snowpocalypse of 2011, I did not go to school at all last week. Today we're off for MLK day. Yet somehow I have to find the strength to work four whole days in a row this week. I simply don't know how I'll manage.

When I'm pressed for time, I manage to get things crossed off my list. If I know I only have a certain amount of time to do something, I buckle down and get it done. But if I have hours of unstructured time looming before me, I somehow let entire days go by and wonder why nothing got done. Last week I could feel myself morphing into a depressed, unwashed, pajama-clad slug and was almost powerless to stop it. Thank God we went to church yesterday so I had a kind of dress rehearsal for reentry into the real world.

Here's what I managed to accomplish last week:
  • tried to vacuum, only to discover that my only six-month-old Dirt Devil is broken and also, no one carries the belt type required by that model
  • spent another hundred dollars at the vet for my incontinent, very expensive, free dog
  • started reading two books, got to page 30, and tossed them aside
  • reread two titles and successfully completed a new title without throwing it against the wall
  • tried in vain to load songs onto my son's new mp3 player before cussing a lot and giving up
  • bought new jeans for my teenager who suddenly outgrew all his jeans overnight
  • sent the kids to mom's for two days after the stress of jeans shopping with a 13-year-old
  • practiced my bass guitar for hours (and built up a really impressive callous on my index finger)
  • helped paint a backdrop for the children's worship room at my church
  • bought new flannel sheets because I'm tired of freezing to death when I get into bed every night
  • took four bags of stuff to Goodwill
  • had a lunch date with my smoking hot hubby
  • walked the dog one mile each day
  • kicked some ten-year-old butt in Wii Play (I love the shooting game!!)
  • procrastinated all things work-related
So now, because of that last one, I have to get busy today. So why am I still goofing off on Facebook? Because I can, that's why.

No comments: